Sunday, November 16, 2008

Powerpoint Presentation Analysis

Wow!  That was uncomfortable but insightful.  I did not particularly enjoy watching myself stumble through my powerpoint presentation, but I did get some insights into how I act while speaking in front of people. 
Strengths
  • Eye contact was good
  • I did not read directly from the powerpoint
  • I generally was turned toward the audience
  • Voice tone was good
Weaknesses
  • Said Um too much
  • Thoughts were not totally clear and congruent
  • Paced back and forth in the same spot, THE WHOLE TIME
  • Played with my powerpoint remote a lot
This was an interesting assignment.  I think everyone should force themselves to watch how they interact in front of a group.  The insights gained can be very helpful in becoming an effective speaker.  That is the whole point of what we are trying to do.  As teachers, the most basic principle is that we can communicate ideas to our students.  If we are not able to do that effectively, than our students will suffer the greatest consequence.  I plan on doing this exercise more often.  I think that lessons gained from critiquing our work will have tremendous positive consequences.   
Unfortunately, I am having some difficulty with the technology side of the assignment.  I have not been able to download my presentation onto teachertube or youtube.  I think that internet speed down here in Ketchikan is insufficient.  I have edited my video and cut it down in length so hopefully I will work this time.

No comments: